Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Gym etiquette

I have to ask another stupid question. Am I the only person in America who thinks that people have poor etiquette in the gym? Example: Woman on the elliptical machine popping her gum so loud it can be heard over the loud music. Why? First of all, if you are chewing that hard, can you really be getting a good workout? Second, don't you understand that it is so annoying to hear that?

Second Example: Man on treadmill sweating profusely. Uses his gym provided towel to not only wipe the sweat from his brow, but from his arm pits, his back and every other body part you can imagine sweating. And then, proceeds to use the same towel to wipe down the machine as the gym management has requested.

WHY????? That is so gross!

Finally, why do the skinny people who work at the gym give those of us less then skinny people "the look" when we walk in. Like "why the hell are you even trying you fatso". I swear I get that from the Size 2's when I walk in. It is so annoying and I really want to hit them in their skinny face!

Maybe some day I will get it. But I doubt it. I have come to realize that in this world so many little things/people annoy me. I am not saying I am perfect and don't annoy others. But at least I try to keep my annoying habits to myself and not force the rest of the world to deal with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't take the glares from the skinny people personally. As a former anorexic, I can tell you that I viewed the gym as an antidote against fat and whenever I saw a heavier person working out (especially if they were at the gym frequently) I'd freak out a little because if the heavier people can work out hard and remain heavy, then I could get heavy too, even though I work out. Yeah, I know this isn't the most logical stream of thought, but I do know that many small women have similar thoughts about out of shape/heavier people at the gym.

Lesson from my ramblings? Don't take any glares from the skinny folk personally, it's just a reflection of the messed-up thinking in our heads.

Good luck with the working out!

Lisa said...

The looks don't bother me that much. But the man wiping the sweat from his armpits and then wiping the machine with the same towel...eeeeek