Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Birthdays

When I was a kid, my parents went way out of their way to make my birthday extra special because it was right after the holidays. I had special dinners. Handmade gifts. Friends over. Big cakes. All of it. As I got older and moved out, for some reason I still expected this to continue. Of course it didn't. From my parents I get a check and if I am lucky a phone call. But for some reason I still anticipate my birthday like it is my wedding day. I expect to wake up, have all my friends at least call me. To have my husband lavish gifts on me. To have my coworkers have a huge party for me. Guess what....it doesn't happen like that.

I don't want to complain. Because my birthday was very nice. Nicer then most people ever get. But I didn't get the big bang I used to get out of my birthdays. I got a lovely gift from my coworkers. A fabulous night on the town from my husband. Cards from my family. I guess maybe that is it. My parents have the capability to continue to do the cool stuff they used to if they wanted. They have the internet, they have a car, they have the cash. But I get a check. For both Birthdays and Christmas. When I first started out on my own, a check was great...much needed to pay bills. Fortunately my hubby and I are in a good spot and don't need the random cash like that. It would be more meaningful for me to get a cheesy gift from them. I have told them this...but alas...still no gift. I should get over this..not get bitter. I know this. But I struggle to understand why when I have told them I would prefer a $5 candle over a $50 check they don't get it. Or why they choose not to.

Oh well. I guess I will never get through to them and just need to move on.

I did get a fantastic call from my neice in which she said "Happy Esa!" "Wuvvy Esa". To those of you who don't speak 2 yr old, that was Happy Birthday Lisa and Love you Lisa. That made the whole day for me. She is the light of my life. Isn't it amazing how someone so small can do such a little thing and make you happy? I am amazed by it every day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that I'm late but Happy Birthday!

I always think I should wake up and my birthday will be like Christmas, bwahahaha - just know you are not alone.

Lisa said...

Thanks Hilly! Glad to hear I am not crazy!