Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The results

So last week I asked for feedback about a situation with one of my employees. Summary: Employees mother passed away and she asked me to take up a fund for her. I asked, is this ok?

The results are an even 50/50 split everwhere. And no matter what side you were on, you were on opposite sides of the spectrum...it was either really ok with you or really not appropriate.

A few insights people gave me that I hadn't thought of:

-I am not in a situation(thankfully) to need the money if something happened to my parents so i don't know what they are going through

-It may be a cultural thing

-She could have been under tremendous grief and not thinking clearly (but she has called me 4 times to ask how the money is coming in)

Personally, I am on the side of the spectrum that is not ok. However if she had just said "I don't know how I am going to pay for the funeral" and I took it upon myself to take up a fund, i feel it would have been fine. But I come from the old school that it is not ok to beg for money.

To add to this, I know this individual very well having worked closely with her for over a year. She drives a new volvo, lives in a new townhouse, only wears designer clothes...you get the picture. Is she over extended...sure, but do I need to pay for her mistakes?

To top it off, on Thursday I headed to the wake to pay my respects. I was supposed to be from 6-7. Due to heavy traffice I got there at 6:55 and she was already gone. Where was she you ask? Shopping at Walmart. Do I think she spent the cash I collected on her shopping? You bet I do. This situation has brought out the cynic in me yes. I will not be the one who "takes up the cause" again.

Interested to know how much we raised? Over $400 in an office of 25. With 2 people giving $100 each.

No comments: