Friday, March 9, 2007

And you should get my business why?

So my husband and I want to do some small projects around the house that we hope will increase the value of the home so that when the housing market picks back up we can sell it. So this week I started reaching out and trying to find some people to do the work. I am starting with doing some updates to the bathroom. I visited a home show to get some names, I did a google search to find some local people, I even visited Craigslist.

My first annoyance was people talking down to me. Hey, I am coming to you because I dont know about grout and crap. Don't talk to me like I am a moron because I don't know if I have drywall or greenboard behind my showers surround. So cancel those people off the list who talked to me like dirt.

Next people to annoy me...people who think because I am asking for their help they can charge me an arm and a leg. Seriously. The quotes we got were all within the same range except for 2. They were $2000 more then the rest of the quotes. Your service can't be that different. All the rest are insured, can provide references, pictures of their work etc. What do you think I am, stupid?

The final people who made me mad are those who didn't follow through with the quote after I talked to them. "Oh yeah, it should be this amount, I will email it all to you in the next day". That was Monday. Today is Friday. Guess what buddy, even if you mailed it now, you lost my business. If you can't get your quote done on time why would I think you are going to get my bathroom done on time.

So that leaves one lone guy standing. So once I check his references I am pulling the trigger and getting the work started. Lesson to people trying to get my business. Don't play games with me or you will quickly lose my business.

No comments: