Thursday, December 28, 2006

I'm walkin, yes indeed I'm walkin

So I have walked 3 times in this last week. I am feeling pretty good about that. Did I do it at the gym? No. Why? Because I find walking outside in the 30 degree air somehow easier. I know it is all mental. I find it easier for several reasons:

1) No damn clock staring at me like there is on the treadmill.
2) No damn "Pace" clock staring at me making me feel like I am failing because I am not doing 5MPH like my neighbor
3) I can act like an idiot and no one sees. Cause no one else is out in December so when I am walking and listening to my mp3 player I can do my jazz hands and dance to songs and no one looks at me funny
4) I walk faster then I do on the treadmill but it doesn't feel like it. I know I am going faster because I know how long my route is and I know how long it takes me to do on the treadmill vs being on the streets...and for some reason it takes me less time on the streets
5) I have a visual finish line, the Big Blue water tower by my house that I can see from anywhere in town.

Now I know that being in Illinois that any day now the snow is going to fall, or we are going to hit -20 degrees and walking outside will not be realistic so I will be heading back to the gym. But I am finding to get back into the swing of things that walking outside is easier for me. My next goals are:

  • Increase back to 5 days a week where I was before
  • Increase the length of time I walk (currently 30 min) back to the 40 I was doing
  • Pump the pace up. At one time I was acctually jogging half my workout. That was a sight, but I did it

Eating has been ok, not fabulous...but better then it was for sure. However my mouth is watering for some Queso from Qdoba! I will hold off on that but I might have to hit the sushi buffet, yum!

So when you see a crazy lady walking down the streets of Illinois doing jazz hands and lip syncing to JT's Sexyback...give a honk and wave! I will know that you are on my side in this crazy journey!

No comments: