Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Life is so fragile

So my last post I talked about my moms broken hip. So much has happened since then I don't even know where to begin.

While recovering from her hip surgery and still in the hospital, she suffered a mild heart attack. When they did tests on that they discovered major blockage in her heart (that her cardioligist of 10 years somehow missed but don't get me started) and required emergency bypass surgery. Several hours after the surgery she suffered one of the rare side affects, a stroke. This poor poor woman, whos body has already gone through so much, now has such an uphill battle.

For the last few weeks now it has been touch and go. They adjust one med and it sends her into a tailspin. It has been 2 steps forward and 2 steps back. She is now out of ICU, hopefully for good, but still has such a battle in front of her. She can't feed herself, can't walk, can't even talk much. I see glimpses of my mom in there but just that, glimpses. This makes me very sad, but also happy...when I see those glimpses my heart sores. The other day she said "I Love You" without any prompting...it brought tears to my eyes. And then I see her not able to feed herself and I cry.

My emotions are on such a roller coaster that all I want to do is curl up into a ball and drink. But I know I have to be strong for my mom and dad...so I go on. Please wish my family and myself well in our journey...the road will be long, hard but hopefully some of the sadness is behind us.

No comments: